One of the greatest things to buy for your truck is the best roll up Tonneau cover. This accessory can lock stuff in your truck bed and/or keep it protected from the elements. You may even be surprised that these covers will not cost you an arm and a leg either.
If you own a truck, Tonneau covers are a particular accessory that everyone should have. But, you may have a lot of questions before jumping right in and buying one. Not to worry! You should be cautious and tedious when finding the correct one for you and your vehicle. Nothing is worse than making a big decision, rushing it, and ending up with a mess.
10 Best Roll Up Tonneau Cover: At A Glance
|1. Tyger Auto T2 Roll-Up Tonneau Cover|
|2. TruXedoTruXport Soft Roll-Up Truck Bed Cover|
|3. Gator ETX Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover|
|4. MaxMate Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover|
|5. Lund Genesis Elite Roll Up Tonneau Cover|
|6. Tyger Auto T1 Roll Up Tonneau Cover|
|7. TruXedoTruXport Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover|
|8. Tonno Pro Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover|
|9. North Mountain Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover|
|10. Extang Express Tonno Roll-Up Tonneau Cover|
Top 3 Best Tonneau Covers: At A Glance
|1. Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold T Tonneau Cover|
|2. Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover|
|3. Tonno Pro Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover|
Top 3 Best Retractable Tonneau Covers: At A Glance
|1. RetraxONE MX Retractable Tonneau Cover|
|2. Roll-N-Lock Retractable Tonneau Cover|
|3. Gatortrax Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover|
Top 3 Best Hard Folding Tonneau Covers: At A Glance
|1. Gator Evo Hard Bi-Fold Tonneau Cover|
|2. BAKFlip MX4 Hard Folding Tonneau Cover|
|3. Rugged Liner Hard Folding Tonneau Cover|
Read on to get you filled on all the things you need to know about the Tonneau covers. This way, your truck will be ready to roll wherever you roam.
- Top 10 Best Roll Up Tonneau Cover Review:
- 1. Tyger Auto T2 Low Profile Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 2. TruXedoTruXport Soft Roll-Up Truck Bed Cover
- 3. Gator ETX Soft Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 4. MaxMate Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 5. Lund Genesis Elite Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 6. Tyger Auto T1 Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 7. TruXedoTruXport Soft Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 8. Tonno Pro Lo-Roll Black Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 9. North Mountain Soft Vinyl Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
- 10. Extang Express Tonno Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 11. Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Truck Tonneau Cover
- 12. Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 13. Tonno Pro Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 14. RetraxONE MX Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 15. Roll-N-Lock Retractable M-Series Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 16. Gatortrax Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 17. Gator Evo Hard Bi-Fold Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
- 18. BAKFlip MX4 Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 19. Rugged Liner E-Series Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- Things To Consider When Buying Roll Up Tonneau Cover
- Types of Tonneau Covers
- Advantages of Tonneau Covers
- Installation of Roll Up Tonneau Covers
- Maintenance of Tonneau Covers
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Roll Up Tonneau Cover
Top 10 Best Roll Up Tonneau Cover Review:
1. Tyger Auto T2 Low Profile Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
To get us all started off right, this Tyger Auto Tonneau Cover is a great get. It is one of the best Tonneau covers for a few reasons. The design may definitely be the first thing you notice. This Tonneau Cover fits in 5.7’, 6.4’, and 8’ beds of any Dodge Ram from 2009-2019. With its U.S. patented design, you will notice its marine grade topper that is made completely of vinyl. The aluminum side clamps and side rails are powder coated for further protection.
Additionally, there are crossbars that run horizontally for added support whether you have the Tonneau cover lying flat or rolled up. Whatever you decide to do with your cover, you will have instant access to your things in no time at all. When you do not need your items, Velcro strip will seal the sides of the cover. Also, there is a latch system that will lock with your tailgate.
If you need to tighten your cover, there are tension rods so your cover will stay sound and wrinkle-free. To install, you will no need to drill. There are easy-to-use hardware and simple instruction to secure your clamps in no time at all.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Company accepts returns
- Cover only weighs 30 pounds
- Perfect for a Fleetside truck bed
- The installation will take 20 carefree minutes
2. TruXedoTruXport Soft Roll-Up Truck Bed Cover
This truck bed cover by TruXedoTruXportis perfect for someone to looking to install it by themselves. With a single-person fitting, you will be able to latch the covers with ease to roll up or cover your bed. One of the first things you will notice with this Tonneau cover is its price. For a vehicle cover, it is affordable for most people on planet Earth.
Another feature you will like is the cover’s aerodynamic construction. With a 10% MPG increase, you will save money and the environment all in on. How cool is that? In a 20-minute time window, the Velcro straps will connect for a great industrial-grade hold. This way, you will keep water out and reduce the wear and tear on your new product.
To tighten your cover, manually move the knob on your own without any tools. When your cover is completely tightened, you should be good to go. In terms of your truck bed, the Tonneau cover is 15” higher than the bed itself. You will notice that it gives an impressive look for all those who gaze upon its beauty.
- Two paddle latches make for easy access
- No drilling needed for your install
- Made of fabric that is leather grain.
- Built in the United States of America
- Weighs less than 30 pounds
3. Gator ETX Soft Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
If you own a GMC Sierra Limited or a Chevy Silverado, this best hard roll-up Tonneau cover may be for you. Made in the U.S., Gator’s U.S.-based customer service representatives will be able to help you have a great buying experience. When installing your Tonneau cover, you will notice the simplistic of your new purchase. Without the use of drills, all you will need to do is clamp down the rails on your truck bed.
You will have constant bed access by rolling up the cover towards your cab. Then, you can strap it in whenever you do not need the cover down. The design of this cover is one of the best in the business. This is because the connects to the inside of the bed rails. Another perk is the limited lifetime warranty of the frame and a 10-year on the tarp itself.
As one of the lightest roll-up covers on the market, at 17.5 pounds, you will not need multiple people to help you install it. All you will need is yourself to mount the leather-grained vinyl on top of your truck bed.
- Tension control that is adjustable
- 2 crossbars allow for extra cover strength
- Very fast shipping
- Can install in 15 minutes or less
- Keeps water intrusion to a minimum
4. MaxMate Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
The MaxMateTonneau Cover uses a U.S. patented design to get its product across to hundreds of thousands of people around the world. It uses a 24-oz. vinyl top that is made of a two-layered marine coating for extra strength. The horizontal crossbars can roll up and stay flat depending on your needs of the time.
With the help of Velcro stripping, you can latch lock your cover in place, so people can’t get into your truck bed. To tighten your cover, you can use the adjustable system to get the wrinkles out and keep your stuff in. There is no need to drill your cover into the truck bed because all it uses are a secure clamping system for best results.
If you are worried if this product will last, do not be. The reasoning is because of its 10-year no hassle warranty, where the company will accept the product back if you have any problems at all. This way, you won’t need to worry if you made the right purchase or not. You can go into this best hard Tonneau cover with unparalleled confidence.
- Weighs less than 25 pounds
- Saves you 13% on gas
- Fits Ram trucks made by Dodge
- The installation will take between 10-20 minutes
- 100% water-tight design
5. Lund Genesis Elite Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Another best roll up Tonneau cover comes to use from the company, Lund. Fitting over a 6.5’ bed, you can be assured a great fit for models like Silverado, from 2007-2018, and Sierra 1500, 2500, and 3500 editions. At 30 pounds, this is one of the heavier versions on the market today. But, you can still install this edition all by yourself.
The Lund Genesis uses a soft cover that makes for a great low-profile product. Made of twill fabric, this cover will not waste your time with added maintenance time. All you will need to do is install the cover, roll it back, or take it off in the event that it is not needed. You will not have to worry about special cleaning solutions either because this cover can be washed whenever you take your truck in for detailing.
When installing, you will not need to drill any holes. With a great clamping system, you can keep moisture and dust out in just a few minutes of time. Or roll it up and strap it in whenever you need your bed open.
- Fuel economy will increase
- Cover is pre-assembled
- Hook and loop fastening technology
- All the mounting equipment comes standard
- Enjoy a limited lifetime warranty
6. Tyger Auto T1 Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Tyger makes another roll up Tonneau cover that is great for 2002-2019 Dodge Ram 1500s and 2003-2018 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 editions. This best Tonneau cover is phenomenal for Rams without a Ram Box and has a bed measuring 6.5’. Made in the U.S.A., Tyger use a vinyl top that is coated for added strength and stability.
More strength comes from the horizontal crossbars that are sturdy no matter the wear and tear on your cover. For a latching lock system, Velcro strips keep the cover down and will never rip open because of the wind.
If for whatever reason you do have a problem with Tyger, do not fret. The company has a limited lifetime warranty, where you will just have to pay for the shipping costs. So, if you are having a water leak or the material rips, send it back for a new one. Tyger makes it easy for you to enjoy its product because of this option.
- Weighs in at 25 pounds
- Save 12% on gas every fill-up
- Meets OE quality criteria
- No drilling needed
- Installing will take you no more than 30 minutes
- The frame is made from aircraft grade materials
- Carwash safe
7. TruXedoTruXport Soft Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
A truck bed covers review would be remiss if they did not have this alternative from TruXedoTruXport. This option fits a 2014-2019 GM Sierra, as well as Chevy Silverado 1500s, 2500s, and 3500s. One of the first things you should do when buying their product is to match the model number to make sure it fits on your truck. Then, you will enjoy benefits like an economical soft-shell cover.
In less than 20 minutes, you will be able to add this to your truck. If you do have any problems with the material, send it back within your 5-year warranty which covers everything from the fabric to the frame.
When using your cover, you can tighten it to your liking, so it will stay grounded to your vehicle. Then, enjoy its vinyl grain look that will turn heads, but most importantly keeps your goodies protected trip after trip.
- Built in America
- Paddle latches fasten on either side of the bed
- The cover sits 15” above the truck bed
- Leather fabric withstands harshest summers and winters
- Measures out at 26 pounds
- Improves gas mileage
- Amazing customer support staff
8. Tonno Pro Lo-Roll Black Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
It may be hard to find the best roll up Tonneau cover, but you may have found it form the company Tonno. Created for 2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado models, 2014-2018 GMC Sierra 1500s, and 2015-2018 Silverado 2500 and 3500s, you will understand why this product is beloved by so many truck owners. It fits a 5.8’ bed effectively but is one of the more heavy-duty options at 36 pounds.
When installing this product, you will not need a drill. Just grab a 17mm socket wrench to tighten your cover, so then you can be on the road again. While you are on the road, understand that your cover can take a beating. With a double-sided, tear-resistant construction, your cover will be able to handle the elements.
Additionally, when you buy a cover from Tonno, you will get a few extra accessories. These include an LED bed light, a tailgate sealer, cover cleaner, and gloves to help you with your installation needs. Not bad, since you were only interested in a truck cover in the first place.
- Adjustable tension control
- Horizontal crossbars come standard
- Made of aluminum rails
- Assembly will take you 10 minutes tops
- Weather tight sealing
9. North Mountain Soft Vinyl Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
If you own a Ford, one of the best roll-up Tonneau covers for F-150s is this one from North Mountain. For Styleside beds that are 5.6’ in length, you will love this option for 2015-2019 Ford F-150s. When you purchase this product, you will receive hex keys, a cover, side rails, clamps, and the instructions for installation.
The design for this cover uses cross-bar technology, which makes it easy to roll-up your cover with ease. Also, this cover is essential if you need to get stuff in and out of your bed in a breeze. When you are using the cover, you will be able to haul around your stuff, while not worrying about your goods being protected.
As a top brand, North Mountain uses tear-resistant materials that come with a 3-year warranty. This will protect you against any defects or workmanship issues. But, you probably will never need to use it because this vinyl tarp is top notch.
- Easy clamp-on installation
- Improved runoff technology
- Will not intrude on your bed space
- Weighs less than 30 pounds
- The surface-finish is black
- Doesn’t mess with your traditional tailgate operation
10. Extang Express Tonno Roll-Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
The last product on our traditional review is this Tonneau cover by Extang. As one of the more expensive options, you will definitely get what you pay for. From its very being, this cover repels any liquid from getting into your bed. There are levers that are quick release near the cab and the tail rails.
As a best roll up Tonneau cover for F-150s, your bows are already positioned for success and will roll with your amazing tarp. When installing, use the pre-drilled rails for the best mounting experience. No tools will be needed. Also, you will only need yourself to lift the cover because it is only 25 pounds.
This cover is engineered by Extang to experience the best all-weather product on the market today. With a 95% dust and waterproof rating, you will have peace of mind wherever you drive. Lastly, if at any time your latches break, Extang will ship you new ones for free.
- Install in less than 15 minutes
- Covers 5.5’ beds
- Flawless design and construction
- Perfect for the hot sun or the cold weather
- Saves on gas
- Velcro keeps the cover down
Top 3 Best Tonneau Covers
11. Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Truck Tonneau Cover
- Another best hard Tonneau cover is by the familiar company Tyger
- Can fit be of 5.5’, 6.5’, and 8’ beds
- Made in the United States of America
- Made of vinyl that is marine grade
- Horizontal crossbars are pre-assembled for your convenience
- No drilling needed with this installation
- Limited Lifetime Warranty will protect your investment
12. Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- Made and served in the United States of America
- The installation will take you about 10 minutes of time
- The elements will stay out and your stuff will stay in
- A Limited Lifetime Warranty is cover the frame for life and the tarp for up to 10-years
- This product weight less than 25 pounds
- Removal of this product will take you less than 5 minutes
- There will be no leaking problems
13. Tonno Pro Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- Fits a 5.5’ Ford F-150 truck bed
- Weighs 30 totally pounds
- The exterior is the color black
- No troubles will be had with rain or sun from front to back
- The cover had clamps to lock down from the inside
- Installation with take you 10 total minutes
- Roll up simplicity will save you time
Top 3 Best Retractable Tonneau Covers
14. RetraxONE MX Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- A best retractable Tonneau cover due to its easy open and close nature
- Allows for hauling flexibly, especially if you are towing a 5th wheel
- Saves up to 10% on gas
- The cover is UV-protected with no-fading
- Made of a polycarbonate construction
- One of the heaviest covers at 70 pounds
- Gliding technology gives you easy access
15. Roll-N-Lock Retractable M-Series Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- The cover is equipped with torsion spring accessories
- Construction is made of an aluminum frame and vinyl overlay
- Latches from multiple positions around the truck bed
- Weighs almost 100 pounds for additional strength and durability
- Manufactured in the United States of America
- Follows the standards of OE automotive
- Includes a locking feature
16. Gatortrax Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- This best retractable Tonneau cover can hold 300 pounds on weight on top
- Gator includes a Limited Lifetime Warranty with every purchase
- The cover is made in the United States of America
- Constructed of polycarbonate slates that jet fighter pilots use in their planes
- A lockable system which includes keys
- Can withstand temperatures from -50 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit
- Clamp-on rails snap on
Top 3 Best Hard Folding Tonneau Covers
17. Gator Evo Hard Bi-Fold Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
- This best hard folding Tonneau cover is the only two folding option on the market today
- Constructed using powder coated aluminum that is super heavy duty
- 3-Year Warranty will back you in the United States of America
- Storage straps will hold your cover down while driving
- Can install this product at your home within 5 minutes
- Perfect for 2015-2019 Ford F-150s
- Can hold 200 pounds of weight on top that is evenly distributed
18. BAKFlip MX4 Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- BAKFlip makes some of the best retractable Tonneau covers in the 21st Century
- The cover is UV-resistant to protect it from the sun
- Product is weight-rated up to 400 pounds of strength
- No drilling is needed when installing this cover
- Included with your purchase is a 3-year warranty
- Latching the cover on your bed will only take seconds
- This will not blow off with the wind
19. Rugged Liner E-Series Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- Every purchase comes with a 3-year warranty for your cover
- The hinges are double-sealed for added protection of the things in the bed of your truck
- Comes on and off in 6 minutes or less
- Installation needs no tools at all
- The product weighs a flat 50 pounds
- Color of the Tonneau cover is steel back
- Made of an aluminum frame for this best hard folding Tonneau cover
Things To Consider When Buying Roll Up Tonneau Cover
There are a few things you should consider when looking to buy the best roll up Tonneau cover. The first thing you need to know includes covers in general. Each cover and each brand serves a different purpose. Not all Tonneau covers should be treated equally. With this in mind, most might feel overwhelmed with the buying process. However, you should be overjoyed to know that there is a specific cover out there for you and your truck.
Security & Safety
Many Tonneau covers come with a lock and key. This is really handy if you are leaving stuff in your truck bed overnight or for long periods of time. Now, this will come with a higher price tag. But, it might be worth it to you, if you have a lot of valuables in your truck bed. Additionally, make sure to buy a product that will cover your valuables without getting them dusty and/or wet. There is nothing worse than a cover not doing its job. Unfortunately, this happens all too often with off brands that are cheaper but do not live up to the hype.
Now, price is not everything. But, you should have a price in mind after you have done your homework. Cheaper cost is a byproduct of lightweight materials. However, it can mean the construction is subpar, too. This is not always the case, but you must do your due diligence to see what is up. The higher end covers are not always what they are cracked up to be either. Sometimes, you are just getting played for your money. But, these cases are usually of the hardcover design.
Knowing the Size & Weight
When looking to buy your Tonneau cover, do not forget to check the weight. Tonneau covers are weighted and sized differently based upon materials, construction, etc. If you are looking at a heavy cover, see if you can install it on your own or if you will need help in the process. Though these types of covers can be hard to manage, they are usually made of sturdy materials that will last and last.
On the other hand, you may want a Tonneau cover that is lightweight, due to its roll-up nature. This will allow for easy folding actions, an inexpensive cover, and comfort with the installation. However, make sure to check if the lightweight covers are weather-resistant. Heavier covers usually mean they can protect your stuff against now, rain, hail, wind, and sun. Lightweight varieties do not always follow these standards.
Deciding Upon a Material
Different Tonneau covers are made from diverse materials. Some of the most common include vinyl, plastic, and aluminum. Vinyl has the best shelf life and usually has a quality warranty to boot. Plastic roll-up covers less common, but not very scratch proof. When it comes to aluminum, this is probably the cheapest of options and is best if you are looking for a temporary solution to your cover problems. Might be better to save up for something better than settling for second best.
Popularity Can Matter
Reviews on a company’s site can be used to your advantage. But, do not always believe what you read. Look for write-ups that are from people who have truly walked the walk with their Tonneau cover. Ask around, and don’t be afraid to take your time. This should not be a spur of the moment decision.
Customer Service & Shipping Costs
You may not think of these last focuses, but having amazing customer service can go a long way for you. A lot of times, if you are having troubles with your cover, then you need to figure it out all on your own. However, if great customer care comes standard, you will have a back-up plan whenever you need it.
Shipping costs might not be something you consider either. Some brands sneak in price shipping costs that will make you go over budget. However, other companies understand that free shipping should come with your purchase. Just check the small print before you buy.
With these points in mind, you will be well on your way to finding the right Tonneau cover for you. But, before you go spend your money, read a few more thoughts about covers for your truck.
Types of Tonneau Covers
There are a few Tonneau cover types that you should know. These include roll-up, hinged, hinged & roll up, and folding.
When it comes to roll-up Tonneau’s, know that these products run from the tailgate to the very back of the truck’s cab. With a roll up design, they are made of lightweight materials that won’t affect your truck’s gas efficiency. In many cases, it will actually save money for you in the long run.
A cool feature of the roll design is you can roll it up as far as you want. Do you want half the truck bed open? Great; Velcro it to the place that is most effective for you. In the long run, people who are looking for a roll-up design usually want an inexpensive product that can have access to their bed whenever they want. Lastly, this best roll up Tonneau covers looks great at all times.
If hinged or the best retractable Tonneau covers are more your jam, you must first know that mount to the front of the bed near the cab size. You can tilt them up and away from your tailgate for simple access. More often than not, hinged covers are a metal frame, 1-piece, which are made from vinyl or canvas. This type of cover would be best for a person who does not want to spend loads of money but wants good security and sensational styling.
Hinged & Roll Up
Are you a fan of the roll up and hinged covers? Well, you can actually have the best of both worlds in one cover. To open, lift the cover from your tailgate towards the back of your bed. This way, you can grab whatever you want out in a hurry.
One of the best features for this cover is the way it provides amazing access to anywhere in your truck bed. It rolls up to the back of your truck window. The people who want this cover usually are looking for convenience and easy operation wherever they go.
The last of the models is the folding cover. These usually consist of panels of two or three. Canvas or vinyl are the materials of choice over a metal framing. If you are a fan of quick assess, this might be the right options for you.
Depending on the make and model, folding Tonneaufolds up to the window, giving you complete access to your truck bed. However, this will cost you more. Many of these types of covers still come over the top of the bed. With fastening straps to keep your cover down, they also work if you want the cover half open, as you haul items around.
Folding covers are best for people who are looking for cheaper costs. Also, they want instant access to their things and a great style that matches the magnificence of their truck.
Advantages of Tonneau Covers
No matter if you are looking for the best hard roll-up Tonneau cover, or a great hinged option, there are plenty of advantages when buying this type of product. Check out the list below:
#1 – Getting Better Gas Mileage: Most people do not think that a cover can make that much of a difference. But, do not be deceived. Because of the aerodynamic natures of these covers, your truck’s bed will not generate an air drag. Depending on the make and model of the vehicle, you can increase the mileage by 5-10%. An open bed can’t save you money like that. You will actually pay off your truck cover with the money you saved.
#2 – Transporting Items Safely: This is the biggest no-brainer advantage. If you want your stuff to be protected, Tonneau covers are the way to go. No matter if you are hauling around work equipment, luggage, or moving someone around, this cover is a necessity. This type of cover keeps the elements outside where they should be.
#3 – Organizing Your Goodies: There is nothing worse than your stuff getting shifted in a truck, as you go from place to place. Tonneau covers actually do a great job of keeping things in place. Since these covers protect against the wind, your supplies will not shift while you are in transit. So, pack your truck bed, and it will look the same from Point A to Point B.
#4 – Being Secure Every Day: You may have heard the old adage “Out of Sight; Out of Mind.” This rings true when it comes to Tonneau covers. If you do not have one of these covers, any person could see your stuff and take it out of the back of your bed. But, with a Tonneau cover, you will be able to conceal your items, and even lock them up if you bought a more expensive option.
#5 – Bring Your Truck Value: Saving money on gas is not the only perk to having a Tonneau cover. You can also get a lot of money back when you sell your truck. This might seem crazy, but resale values go up for trucks that have this type of cover. Because Tonneau covers protect you in a variety of ways, car buyers will notice the benefits, too.
Additionally, your bed will be protected from damage with a Tonneau cover. Your truck will be in better shape than most and sell quicker on the open market. A Tonneau cover truly pays for itself and then some. Investing in this type of cover may be your best car buying decision ever.
Installation of Roll Up Tonneau Covers
When installing your Tonneau Roll-Up Cover, follow these steps:
#1 – Is your cover compatible?
Before you start anything, double and triple check that you are buying the right Tonneau cover. This will save you a lot of time, and even money (shipping costs back to the company). If you have a bed rail caps, bed liners, etc., will this particular cover work correction for you. Accessories to your truck may mean a little more installation work like cutting, drilling, etc. Nevertheless, you will then be able to roll.
#2 – Open Tailgate
If you have a close tailgate, the installation process will take a lot longer than you ever thoughts possible. Rule of thumb: install will probably go longer than you think. There are always challenges to overcome. But, usually, these are minor ones.
#3 – Side Rail Mounting
Now is the time to mount the side rails. Put them loosely on the bed rail. Hold them with your hands, an additional person to help your, or spring clamps to keep them in place. Some covers may not have side rails. If this is the case, you probably have clamps that will connect inside your bed. Read the instructions that come with the product to help you out here.
#4 – Rubber Seal / Velcro Install
To this point, it will almost be time to lay down your roll-up cover. Before that, you need to lay down a rubber seal, so the elements will not get in. Then, you can lay down the Velcro over tope, but only after the rubber seal is in place and won’t move.
#5 – Unroll Cover
Place the cover tarp near the rear cab and align it the way you want it. Run the tarp forward to the tailgate, making sure it connects to the Velcro. When you are down, cut your tailgate, and go enjoy the great roads of the world.
Maintenance of Tonneau Covers
It is imamate that your Tonneau cover will need some sort of maintenance. To get ahead of the wear and tear, wash and clean your Tonneau cover on a monthly basis. This will keep the dirt and grime away, making it look like new each and every time. Dry it down with a rag or let it sundry.
Moreover, you should also inspect your Tonneau cover every month as well. Check to see if the Velcro is still holding strong. Make sure the material is not ripping or fraying. Are the elements still staying out after you have washed your truck? These are all things to keep an eye on.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Roll Up Tonneau Cover
Q-1: What are other names for Tonneau covers?
- A Tunnel Cover is another name for the Tonneau covers. It comes from the way your items are sheltered in a tunnel from the elements. You may want to search for this title as well when picking the right cover for you and your truck.
Q-2: Should I be worried about my tailgate opening with a cover?
- You should not be worried when driving. Your tailgate will only open if the locking mechanism is broken. But, don’t fret over your tailgate not opening with a cover on top. The cover will not get in the way of easy access to your truck bed.
Q-3: Can I use a Tonneau cover with a 5th wheel?
- This is actually a common occurrence. Many people roll up the cover and secure it with straps. Then, they connect the 5th wheel and go merrily on their way.
Q-4: Will bed extenders get in the way of a Tonneau cover?
- You actually have 3” on either side, so Tonneau cover will fit on most makes and models. But, remember to double check, so you do not run into meaningless problems. If for whatever reason there is a problem, brands like Nissan, Suzuki, GMC, Dodge, and Chevy have adaptor kits that you can get as well.
The end of this article is almost complete, but we hope that your journey to the right Tonneau cover is only beginning. Remember to take your time and enjoy the process. You will only need one of these covers, so it is imperative to get it right. But, do not stress now because you have all the tools to be successful. Shop around and find a cover that fits you and your lifestyle the best. Decide how much access you actually need when out on the road because a camper and a home builder will need a cover for completed different reasons.
Now, go out there and get to buying your best Tonneau cover. The process will open your eyes to a variety of possibilities. Happy trails, and stay safe wherever you venture with your newly purchased cover.