Adding a soft top is one of the best things you can do to make your Jeep more eye-catching without having to spend a lot of money. In this article, we take a look at everything you need to know about how to choose the best Jeep soft top that will suit your specific vehicle and individual preferences.
We take a look at 10 of the best options available on the market that will not only enhance how your Jeep looks but also provide you with a lot of additional benefits. Each of the products on our review list is simple, yet sophisticated, made from high-quality materials and expert craftsmanship.
10 Best Jeep Soft Top: At A Glance
|1. Bestop Wrangler 4-Door Soft Top|
|2. Pavement Ends Jeep Soft Top|
|3. Trektop Pro Hybrid Soft Top|
|4. Pavement Ends Replacement Soft Top|
|5. Rampage Factory Replacement Soft Top|
|6. Smittybilt Replacement Top|
|7. Bestop Complete Frameless Soft Top|
|8. Pavement Ends Replacement Soft Top|
|9. Sierra Offroad Jeep Soft Top|
|10. Bestop Frameless Replacement Soft Top|
Also, we’ve done our research to bring you only competitively priced products from well-known brands that meet the highest industry standards. So without further ado, read on to discover everything you need to know to make the right choice for your needs.
- Top 10 Best Jeep Soft Top Review:
- 1. Bestop Wrangler 4-Door Soft Top
- 2. Pavement Ends Jeep Soft Top
- 3. Trektop Pro Hybrid Soft Top
- 4. Pavement Ends Replacement Soft Top
- 5. Rampage Factory Replacement Soft Top
- 6. Smittybilt Replacement Top
- 7. Bestop Complete Frameless Soft Top
- 8. Pavement Ends Replacement Soft Top
- 9. Sierra Offroad Jeep Soft Top
- 10. Bestop Frameless Replacement Soft Top
- Things To Consider When Buying Jeep Soft Top
- Types of Jeep Soft Tops
- Benefits of Having A Soft Top
- How to Install Jeep Soft Top
- How to Clean A Jeep Soft Top
- How to Fold Down Soft Top
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Jeep Soft Top
Top 10 Best Jeep Soft Top Review:
1. Bestop Wrangler 4-Door Soft Top
This Jeep soft top from a well-known manufacturer comes with a lot of additional benefits that many Jeep owners will truly appreciate. It has improved door surrounds that offer a factory-exact fit for both Wrangler JK and TJ models.
The rear and side windows are removable and replaceable. These tinted windows come with top-of-the-line scoop-counted zippers. In addition to that, this Jeep soft top has exclusive top arch support for the fabric which helps to minimize water puddling and wrinkles. The adjustable bow system will help you keep the fabric taut, and it also comes with a quick release bow knuckle system.
For anyone searching for the best soft top for Jeep Wrangler, this could very well be what you’re looking for. This kit is durable, affordable, and extremely easy to install and remove which means that you’ll be able to have it on your car in no time at all.
- Features three layer twill fabric
- Comes with 40mm-thick vinyl windows which are tinted
- Scoop-counted zippers for dependable use
- Fold-back sunroof for easy open-air driving
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
2. Pavement Ends Jeep Soft Top
This is among the most affordable, high-quality Jeep soft tops that you will find anywhere. Made by a company that’s been manufacturing replacement jeeps soft tops for over six decades, you can rest assured that when you buy this product you’re getting the best possible value for your money.
It’s undoubtedly a smarter option for Jeep owners who want to replace their vehicle’s soft top without having to sacrifice dependability, reliability, durability, and various other features. This top is extremely easy for even one person to install and remove quickly without any hassle.
According to the majority of Jeep soft top reviews, this quality product represents tremendous value thanks to its fastback styling, frameless design, and patented flip-back sunroof panel. It comes without doors, but with removable rear and side curtains. This Sprint top is also compatible with upper fabric half doors and factory full steel doors.
- Patented flip-back sunroof panel
- UV-resistant material helps prevent color fading
- Designed to resist stains and mildew in humid climates
- Stitched using marine-grade thread for durability
- 31% tint on vinyl windows for a cooler interior
3. Trektop Pro Hybrid Soft Top
For anyone searching for a Jeep Wrangler soft top replacement that is easy to install and to take down, this is a great option to consider. It features window panels that offer simple, quick installation and removal, as well as a tight seal which provides a clean fit.
The rear glass hatch comes with a defroster grid and a connector. This industry-first aspect of the Trektop Pro Hybrid Jeep soft top allows for simple, one hand operation in addition to easy accessibility to the rear cargo area. This means that you don’t have to mess with zippers when you have this soft top installed.
The Sunrider flip-back panel allows lots of sunlight to come in, and the side windows have slider panels which allow extra ventilation in the back. For those who love open-air driving, this soft top quickly converts into a convenient Safari bikini top.
With its lightweight and durable makeup, this soft top has the all-season capability which makes it a great option for most Jeep owners.
- The soft top is available in many stunning colors
- Rear glass hatch boasts integrated defroster connect
- Versatile material offers all season capability
- Easily converts into Safari bikini top
- Slide windows in the back provide extra ventilation
4. Pavement Ends Replacement Soft Top
This Bestop model is ideal for anyone looking for a replacement soft top for 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler. It’s affordably priced compared with many other brands in the same category, and its high-quality, stylish design will help to breathe new life to your tired Jeep soft top without the need for you to replace the existing factory frame.
The material used in making this soft top is extremely UV resistant, which means you won’t have to worry about your soft top fading over time even if you use it every day. This is an extremely high-quality Jeep Wrangler soft top for sale at a very competitive price, and it offers great value for money.
In addition to the easy fit, it also looks great and enhances your vehicle’s appearance. Although the fabric isn’t as thick as the premium range from the Bestop brand, it’s designed to be extremely durable and will last you a long time with proper care and maintenance.
It comes with removable rear and side windows which are DOT-approved, and a 31% tint ensures a cooler interior. The windows are also heat sealed to offer additional protection against the elements.
- Made from automotive-grade fade-resistant fabric
- Comes with tinted removable vinyl windows
- Includes a one-year limited warranty
- Heavy-duty jam-resistant side zippers
- Lightweight and conveniently easy to install
5. Rampage Factory Replacement Soft Top
Unlike the majority of the other products on our list, this soft top is designed to fit the 95-98 Suzuki Samurai, Vitara, Sidekick, or Geo Tracker. It’s not only lightweight and durable but also extremely easy to install and remove, too.
This soft top fits neatly over the existing factory framework. The complete outer replacement brings new beauty and functionality to an old lifeless top to revitalize your vehicle. The Marine-grade material used to make this top is water resistant as well as UV-resistant which means that it won’t fade over time.
If you are someone who often drives or parks their vehicle in harsh elements, then this could be the ideal soft top for your needs. It boasts wick-stop thread seals that help to keep out damp and mildew. Also, this top comes with tinted, removable rear and side windows as well as smooth, jam-resistant zippers for easy operation.
- Fits all the specified models like a glove
- Made from durable, long-lasting fabric
- Easy to install and remove
- Designed to repel moisture and resist fading
- Comes with a one-year limited warranty
6. Smittybilt Replacement Top
Coming from a brand that has been creating soft top covers for jeeps for over 50 years, this product is not only high in quality, with durable construction and great craftsmanship, but it is also priced affordably too. All the seams are heat-sealed in order to prevent leaking. The stitch holes are covered using wick stop thread that no other manufacturer makes use of.
This top is designed to fit the original factory OE framework or hardware. The rear and side windows fully zip out if full ventilation is required. This is very convenient, particularly for those who drive for long periods of time in hot or humid climates.
The vinyl-coated Marine-grade fabric used in making this soft top is extremely resistant to fading and stretching. It has DOT-approved windows for safe, reliable, long-lasting use. The soft top also boasts self-correcting zippers that run a lot smoother and last much longer than the majority of other products on the market, making it the best Jeep soft top in terms of long-lasting durability.
- Made from vinyl-coated OEM-style fabric
- UV, water, and stretch-resistant
- Self-correcting zippers for reliable, longer-lasting use
- Made to fit the original factory OE framework
- Heat-sealed to prevent moisture seeping in
7. Bestop Complete Frameless Soft Top
This Jeep frameless soft top comes with an extruded top arch bar made from aluminum to help minimize puddling and keep the shape of the soft top. The high-quality, durable fabric of the soft top tucks in the door surround channel on the TJ Wranglers.
It also comes with a sunroof option which makes this a convenient alternative to rigid hardtops. To operate the sunroof, simply release the header channel and you’re good to go. A tensioning strap is included and it pulls on the tensioning bar while attached to the back of the vehicle tub.
You can use this as a full top or you can remove the side windows as well as the rear window for an instant Safari bikini option. The 18% tinted DOT-approved windows are 30mm thick which makes them conveniently safe and strong for long-lasting use.
This top works with all factory steel doors as well as Bestop door kits which are sold separately. Made from black twill, this product is elegant, smooth, and wrinkle resistant which means that it’ll always look and perform its best.
- The soft top features next-generation styling
- Fold-back sunroof allows more light in
- Designed to fit factory steel doors
- Upgraded features include quick-release bow
- Comes with a two-year limited warranty
8. Pavement Ends Replacement Soft Top
This black diamond replay kit is made from a high-quality automotive-grade soft top fabric which is durable and fade-resistant. For anyone who is looking for the ideal Jeep soft top that will provide a great fit that totally transforms your vehicle, this is a great option to consider.
The kit includes side and rear and side windows but it doesn’t come with the hardware. This replay kit requires the factory bows, frames, and tailgate bar to be in good condition. The DOT-approved 31% tinted vinyl windows open easily to allow additional ventilation during those long drives in hot summer months.
Although not the best soft top for Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as it does not fit the unlimited models, this product does offer extremely easy installation and removal. The price is one of the biggest determining factors for most people when it comes to choosing this as a replacement for their soft top Jeep cover.
- Made from high-quality automotive-grade fabric
- UV-resistant, water-resistant, and stretch-resistant
- 31% tinted vinyl rear and side windows
- DOT-approved for durability and reliability
- Comes with a one-year limited warranty
9. Sierra Offroad Jeep Soft Top
The Sierra off-road soft tops are designed to be an exact fit for all TJ OEM frame factory replacements. The majority of aftermarket suppliers provide a one-size-fits-all approach with regards to the ‘97-2006 Wranglers. This makes it a lot easier for distributors’ supply chains but it results in the Jeep owners having to compromise a lot when it comes to the perfect fit.
This brand takes a whole different approach and they offer custom patterns that are designed to match the original factory frame based on the Jeep’s model year. This is why this brand is the preferred option for a lot of Jeep owners out there. For anyone looking for expert craftsmanship, high fit quality, and extreme value, this is one of the best products you can get to enhance your Jeep.
This soft top features heavy-duty, self-correcting zippers that make for a smooth operation. The factory-original quality specifications ensure that you get the best fit as well as the longest lifespan possible. With heat-sealed seams to help prevent leaks, this soft top offers amazing value for money.
- Color-coordinated fade-resistant polyester thread
- Cut from a single bolt of material for consistent color and grain
- All seams have matching binding
- Heavy-duty zippers allow for smooth operation
- Premium Marine-grade waterproof material
10. Bestop Frameless Replacement Soft Top
This Jeep soft top comes with a variety of features including a high-quality, high-performance fabric which is smooth and wrinkle-free in appearance and contains no PVCs. In addition to all that, this fabric is a lot more flexible and has a much softer feel compared to other alternatives. It also boasts superior cold-weather performance that surpasses sailcloth fabric.
With industry-leading 40mm DOT-approved side and rear windows that are coated in vinyl, you can rest assured that when you buy this product, you are getting the best quality and long-lasting durability that will serve you well for years to come. The windows also have 18% tint which helps to keep the Jeep’s interior a lot cooler during the warm weather months.
If you are searching for the best Jeep YJ frameless soft top, then this product from an industry-leading brand Is one that you should consider.
- Great styling, fit, and functionality
- Doesn’t require traditional frames or bows to install
- Fold-back sunroof for additional light
- Upgraded features including top arch bar system
- Made from durable, weatherproof material
Things To Consider When Buying Jeep Soft Top
Although considerably easier to install as well as remove when compared to its hardtop counterpart, there are a lot of different things you need to look for when buying a soft top for your vehicle. In this section, we take a look at five important features that you need to pay attention to before making your selection of the best Jeep soft top.
So whether you’re buying a soft top for your vehicle for the first time or if you want to replace the old with the new, here are the things that you need to consider before making your purchase:
Choose the Right Fit
If you are buying a new soft top to replace an existing one on your Jeep, then you need to make sure that your new model’s hardware is the perfect fit. This means you need to carefully consider the framework since this might be different.
Also consider windows and half doors, whether glass sider or plastic roll-up. Yet another factor to consider is whether or not you want to opt for a space-releasing frameless top, a straightforward canopy replacement, or a sturdier framed top for your Jeep.
Consider the Construction and Price
By the very nature of their construction and makeup, soft tops are a lot less durable than their hardtop counterparts, so make sure that you choose a build that is of the utmost quality constructed from durable long-lasting materials. This is particularly important if you plan to use it on a daily basis.
As with most other car accessories, you get what you pay for with the Jeep soft top, which means that you need to ensure that you buy the best product you can afford so you can get the most bang for your buck in terms of lifetime value.
Easy Installation and Removal
This is something you need to think about before choosing a soft top because the last thing you want is to be saddled with a product that is near-impossible for you to install if you’re doing it by yourself.
Ideally, the soft top would be one that quickly and easily pops on or off so you don’t have to spend a lot of time getting it on. While looking at whether or not it’s easy to install and remove, also take a look at whether the material will be able to withstand repeated installation and removal without coming apart.
Soft tops are not just for letting in the sun or fresh air, they can also offer a variety of additional benefits including removable windows, convenient storage pockets, and they come in a wide range of fabrics skin colors and materials, some of which are interchangeable – allowing your Jeep soft top to adapt easily to changing climates in various driving environments.
Typical Road Conditions
This is something you need to consider if you live in an area where you experience harsh weather conditions regularly. For instance, if the area you live in is prone to blizzards and storms, or if the weather is freezing cold for most of the year, it doesn’t make sense to pick a soft top as your permanent roof choice.
In such a case, you may be better served with a Jeep hard top. But, for those lucky enough to leave in areas where there’s sunshine all year round, then getting a Jeep soft top is a no-brainer. It’s also ideal even if you just get a few months of sunshine because it’s totally doable to swap out your hardtop for a soft top during those months.
Types of Jeep Soft Tops
The Jeep is one of the most versatile vehicles you’ll find, and it makes sense that it’s soft tops also come in numerous design variations to suit different needs. For instance, some come with windows while others are windowless, and so on. But at the most basic level, Jeep soft tops come in only two types: framed and frameless.
Framed soft tops have full aluminum frames attaching to the rollbar. These acts as a sort of skeleton support to hold the fabric soft top in place. On the other hand, the frameless version has a series of rails that can be connected to the Jeep’s roll cage in order to support the fabric and keep it in place.
Both styles have their own benefits and drawbacks, and it comes down to personal preference when making your choice.
It is important to note that framed tops are sturdier although their aluminum frame sometimes limits your backspace. Frameless soft tops generally leave a lot more cargo space, but they tend to be a bit flimsy and not ideal for prolonged use.
So before you make your choice between a framed soft top and a frameless alternative, make sure you consider your frequency of use, as well as the other factors listed here to ensure that you get the right type for your needs. If you are someone who will be using your Jeep soft top on a regular basis, then you might want to consider the stronger, more durable, and longer-lasting option.
On the other hand, if you don’t intend to be on the road a lot, or if you need that additional cargo space, then a soft top that is frameless might work best for you.
Benefits of Having A Soft Top
If you are a Jeep owner and you’re wondering whether you should go hard or soft, the answer is simple. Just consider your driving conditions, frequency of use, and your personal preferences. Ideally, you would have both a hardtop and a soft top so that you are covered if the weather changes dramatically, but if you only can have one then you might want to consider the benefits of a soft top:
Soft tops are lighter and a lot less bulky than Jeep Wrangler hard tops. Because they are made of lighter, albeit less durable materials, they are also priced lower. Yet another benefit is that they are much easier to install and they usually only need one person to get the job done. Jeep soft tops are also foldable, which means that they are a lot easier to store and transport.
If you’re driving on a hot summer day, you can easily pop down the top and instantly feel the incredible open-air driving experience. And if the weather takes a turn for the worse, you can quickly and easily cover up. This type of flexibility is something you won’t get with hardtops, but it’s also the reason why soft tops aren’t nearly as robust as hard tops.
So, just to recap, here are all the benefits of a Jeep soft top:
- Lightweight, less bulky than hard tops
- Foldable and easy to store
- Simple to install and remove
- Less expensive than hard tops
How to Install Jeep Soft Top
Installing a Jeep soft top is easy to do as long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If you made the right choice, then installing your soft top will be a very straightforward task that only requires one person to complete.
If you’re replacing an old soft top, then obviously the first thing is to remove it and after you’ve done that, you need to set out your soft top material and align it to ensure it fits your existing frame. If you’re using a frameless style, set the top bars and secure everything in place. You can then install the rear and side windows into their retainers, secure in place, and you’re done.
Even if you might have someone else who can do this for you, it’s always a good idea for you to learn how to install your Jeep soft top yourself so that you have no problem removing or replacing it if you need to do so in the future.
Here’s an overview of the general steps to take when installing your new soft top:
Step 1: Align the metal frame and lock each of the clips in place at the front and rear runner.
Step 2: Place the Jeep soft top material on the frame, and ensure that everything is aligned.
Step 3: When everything is aligned, insert the plastic runners inside sockets to secure the bottom rear side of the soft top in place.
Step 4: Your next step is to secure both the upper middle as well as the rear material to the soft top frame. It’s easier if you get inside your Jeep for better access.
Step 5: Fasten the window retainers using the zippers provided to install the windows. Fasten two zippers and two retainers on either side.
Step 6: Strategically insert pins within the grommets to secure the soft top windows in place.
And that’s it! You can now enjoy your new Jeep soft top.
How to Clean A Jeep Soft Top
As with the installation and removal process, cleaning your Jeep soft top will be a fairly simple process. The frequency with which you have to clean your Jeep soft top will depend a lot on how regularly you use it as well as the kind of driving conditions you often experience.
One of the simplest ways of cleaning your soft top is by taking your vehicle to an automatic cleaner. These types of cleaners are not likely to damage your Jeep soft top, but it is likely that your car’s interior will become wet because of the leakage that results from high-pressure water that hits the Jeep from different directions.
Yet another drawback of using these types of automatic washes is that the Jeep soft top produces a very loud and scary noise when the high-pressure jets hit it.
An alternative way to clean your soft top is to use a brush to get rid of any stubborn stains that may have attached themselves to your soft top. Just make sure that the bristles on the brush are not too rigid as this could damage the fabric of the soft top and even scratch the soft top windows.
The absolute best way of cleaning your Jeep soft top is by hand, using a sponge. If you intend to use detergent or soap, then you must rinse it off immediately and wipe your soft top with a dry cloth to avoid unsightly watermarks.
How to Fold Down Soft Top
Folding down a soft top is extremely easy. Even for first-time users, although it might seem like a bit of a hassle the first or second time that you do it, with practice, you’ll find that the process can be extremely simple and quick. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Undo the lower sail panel retainers in the rear by pulling down the material located on the 4-Bow.
Step 2: Fold the sail panels, store them safely, then unlatch the hooks attached to the windshield frame at the front of the Jeep.
Step 3: Lift the unlatched hooks and the 2-Bow top toward the back of the Jeep.
Step 4: Fold back the fabric material systematically in a ‘W’ shape, after which you can rest the header portion on the rear deck.
Step 5: Your next step is to undo side bows, slide the soft top back, then rest them on the Jeep’s rear deck.
Step 6: Fold the material using accordion-style folding, and use the attached Velcro straps to secure it neatly in place.
Step 7: Now you can collect all the material and hardware to store safely inside the Jeep for use next time you need them.
As you can see, folding down the soft top of your Jeep is a simple, easy, and quick one person job. However, if you do have an extra pair of hands helping, that speeds up the process.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Jeep Soft Top
Q-1: What Is a Jeep Soft Top’s Average Lifespan?
- The best Jeep soft top will have a lifespan of up to five years depending on use, maintenance, and care. You need to note that under extreme conditions, you might find that your Jeep soft top doesn’t last nearly as long, but with good care, you can expect to significantly extend its shelf life.
- For instance, if you park your vehicle in a garage sheltered from harsh weather conditions, and if you clean your soft top on a regular basis, you can expect its life expectancy to be the longest possible. However, for people who often use their Jeep in extreme weather conditions, or if you park under the trees or in direct sunlight, obviously your soft top will have a much shorter life.
Q-2: How Do I Pick a Jeep Soft Top Replacement That Fits?
- To get the perfect fit for your vehicle, it depends on the make, model, and year of your Jeep. Knowing the Jeep Wrangler model you have will help you narrow the soft top options down a lot. From the current 2018 to 2019 model, the Jeep Wrangler JL to the Jeep CJ-2A model (1941-1949), you will be able to find the perfect soft top that will fit your vehicle like a glove.
- Just make sure to check with the retailer to ensure that the product you buy is the exact, specific soft top to ensure an accurate fit for your Jeep. Another option available to you is the factory replacement top, a like-for-like model to replace your current top.
- Alternatively, simply ensure that the essential details of your Jeep are on hand when buying a soft top so you can easily check against its full spec before making your choice.
Q-3: Is It Possible to Get Replacement Parts for a Jeep Soft Top?
- It is possible to get replacement parts for your Jeep soft top. These parts can vary, ranging from hardware pieces to the actual soft top material. However, it’s important to note that depending on which brand you are buying, such replacement parts can prove to be extremely costly.
- This is why for the vast majority of Jeep owners, it proves a lot less expensive to simply purchase the entire Jeep soft top kit as opposed to individual replacement parts. So it’s important to do your due diligence in order to determine which would be the best course of action for you.
Q-4: Do I Need a Professional to Install My Soft Top Kit?
- Not necessarily. Installing and removing a Jeep soft top is a very simple and straightforward task. It’s also a good idea to learn how to do it yourself so that you be able to take down or replace the top on your own in the future instead of having to rely on professionals all the time.
- For most people, the only motivation for using professionals to do something they could have done themselves is to save time, but this hardly applies here since installing a Jeep soft top is a very quick process. However, if you do come up against any issues, then it’s a good idea to enlist the help of someone who is more knowledgeable in order to avoid damaging your new Jeep soft top.
As previously stated, the Jeep Wrangler is a vehicle that is among the most versatile you will find anywhere in the world. As a Jeep owner, there’s a lot that you can do to make your vehicle more comfortable, safer, and better -looking. Adding a soft top is a relatively inexpensive way of adding to its aesthetic beauty while also benefiting from a vast range of features such as the ones listed above.
If you’re in the market for a new soft top, use our review and buying guide as your resource to help you choose the absolute best Jeep soft top for your needs.